Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Bloggers for Davis 20

Jonathan Sheppard comments on Nick Cohen's piece in the New Statesman:

'Now I am certainly not in a position to comment on the merits of David Cameron - I'm sure he is very capable. What I do know is that if we are choosing a leader for today - and that's what we are doing, we need someone who can inspire our activists and engage with the public. That means engaging with people not just in leafy suburbs in the South - but reaching out to the millions of voters who have deserted us in many urban areas in the North.

We aren't choosing someone who might be ready to win in 10 years - we need someone with the capabilities to win now. If you are looking for a winner then in my book it has to be David Davis.'

Quite right. For Labour, the point about Blair was that he could reach parts of the leafy suburbs that Old Labour couldn't reach. But that's not our problem. We need someone who can reach the other parts- the bits that Old Etonians might not reach (doh, I've just broken my self-denying ordinance on mentioning the toff factor).

JS was a Parliamentary candidate in May, and although unsuccessful, seems to have good contacts at the Palace:

'A couple of weeks ago - before recess - I was waiting for my boss before we headed off to a Parliamentary reception. Gwyneth Dunwoody approaches from the left - walking with purpose and booms at me, "Are you lurking or hiding my dear boy," to which I feel like I am suddenly back in infant school - and blurt out "Lurking - I think I'm definitely lurking". If Gwyneth and myself keep meeting - people will start to talk you know.'

Cripes.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home