Thursday, July 28, 2005

Peasants Joined By Rebel Barons

We revolting peasants have been joined by a group of dispossessed barons as we all struggle to retain our leadership voting rights.

Barry Legg, the former party chief executive and fundraiser for Iain Duncan Smith’s leadership campaign, is at the helm of 'A Better Choice', described as 'slick, aggressive, and well-funded'.

'The campaign has been planned secretly for months and finally swung into action from offices cheekily located only doors from the Tory party headquarters. Its aim is to prevent the party executive from removing the vote from grassroots Tories as they choose a new leader. It claims the active support of more than 100 constituency chairman, as well as about £50,000 from backers.'

The aim is to stop the proposed constitutional change getting the required two-thirds majority at the National Convention on 27 September.

'A Better Choice has recruited scores of volunteers to man its call centre, reaching constituency chairman at home to argue their side. “We are going to win,” a spokesman said. “It just doesn’t work for the party to say we trust the people on the ground to run their lives and then to say they don’t trust anyone in their party to have a say."

So now it's not just scythes and pitchforks- barons have got those big steel balls with spikes swinging on chains. Yes, and siege machines and stuff.

And we have a feeling the castle doors are actually pretty rotten. The coffers are so empty that the party is soon going to return to its old HQ at Smith Square. And so many staff have been laid off that they haven't even been able to process the Tylers' membership renewal.

Forward to Victory!


PS ABC's web address is http://www.abetterchoice.co.uk/index.php. Go there now to register support.
|

5 Comments:

Blogger Lobster Blogster said...

This blog is a bit of a rant, isn't it?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Wat Tyler said...

No.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Denis said...

You don't get many comments on this site, and when you do they seem often to be rude, as if from some passing virtual thug. I'd therefore like to tell you that I don't think it's a rant at all. I'm not a member of the Conservative party, but am probably more of a true-blue conservative than many who are members, and I am, for various reasons, a very keen admirer of David Davis. I have therefore read this blog nearly every day since you began it, and have found it consistently interesting and well written. I did ask you once what you thought that David Davis intended to do about the EU, but you didn't reply. Perhaps you thought that I was one of those passing thugs, simply trying to wind you up, but it was a serious question. Or perhaps you thought that what I had asked fell outwith the scope of the blog, which I suppose it does; but I would like to know, for it is something I feel rather ignorant about. (If you surmise that it is the EU question that keeps me from being a member of the Conservative Party, you surmise correctly)

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Dave J said...

Denis, the site does get a fair amount of comments, just on the Haloscan ones further below each post rather than these default ones by Blogger.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Wat Tyler said...

Denis- thank you very much for your kind comments. I think the virtual thug comments are part and parcel of blogging, and I try not to take them too personally.

As for DD's views on Europe, I know you asked a while back, but I haven't forgotten. We all know he's a long-standing Euro-sceptic, but like you, there are quite a few people who are interested in his thinking French/Dutch referenda. So I contacted his office for an update (given that I am just an ordinary party member). Unfortunately I haven't heard anything back, so I've sent another request.

And dave j- I've several times wondered if I should suppress the Blogger comments facility, but I'm a bit cack-handed IT-wise, and I'd like to keep previous comments. So I kept it...any suggestions?

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home