Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Spot The Difference

Look, DD For Leader is not about knocking copy, but I've just read David Cameron's latest speech to Policy Exchange. It's being billed as the launchpad for his leadership bid.

'I think Conservatives should have three priorities for public services.

First, we must roll up our sleeves and get stuck in to the nitty gritty...


Second, we should where at all possible devolve power to the local level. These problems can never be tackled by government, national or local, acting on its own...

And so my third priority is to give more responsibility for social action to the people who very often have the best solutions....


In an age of social fragmentation, where individuals and communities are often turning inwards to themselves, not outwards to each other, I believe that working together for the common good is the way to create a new and inspiring sense of national identity.
That's what I mean by shared responsibility.'


I've read the speech twice, and I'm stumped.

I know David is a decent cove who's trying his very best. But can anyone tell me what if anything in this speech couldn't have been said by T Blair?
|

2 Comments:

Anonymous Denis said...

This speech - at least as you report it - sounds eerily like something produced not by a human being, but by a machine.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... machine or Michael Gove, Oliver Letwin and Steve Hilton.

You mean there's a difference?

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home