Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Bloggers for Davis 13

Steve at the quite excellent Village Hampden comes out for DD:

'It is not often that I see something in the news that makes my day, but it happened today. David Davis has declared himself against ID cards on civil liberties grounds.

If he becomes leader and sticks to that platform, I shall probably return to voting Conservative. Of course, there are a few other things I should also like to see him proposing: undoing all the Tyrant Blair's mutilations of the liberties of Englishmen is one, and he seems to be disposed in that direction. Might I suggest a very brief Act worded as follows: "All legislation enacted since 1 May 1997 up to yesterday is hereby repealed."

That would be a start, and the very puny baby would hardly be noticed in all that murky bathwater. I should also like to see him declare explicitly in favour of leaving the EU, but I appreciate that he will have a party to keep together, so I should be content for him to put the spoke in deep enough that they expel us.'

For those who don't know, Steve gives us the background.

'John Hampden was a leading figure in the English Parliament in the years leading up to the English Civil War. He opposed attempts by King Charles I to establish autocratic rule. Most famously, he opposed Charles' attempt to extend the imposition of Ship Money to inland counties, something that was later seen as a trigger for the War. The issue was the familiar one of taxation without representation.'

Actually I know all about Hampden, having grown up in Slough. Of course, that was when it was still Slough, Bucks, and proud of it- before some bureaucratic tyrant handed it over to the Empire of Berkshire.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home